Piazza Liberty – Milano (IT)
Apple/Sice Previt Spa
Foster & Partners
YEAR & AREA OF COMPETENCE :
2016 – 2017 | CIVIL ENGINEERING – COMMERCIAL
AIM OF THE PROJECT :
The new Apple Store is located, in the historical center of Milano next to the Duomo, in the exhisting area once hosting the multiplex cinema Apollo involving also Piazza del Liberty with a substantial city planning modification. The renewal, preserving the existing foundation of the theater, took place starting from the square down to the three levels below. The square existing slab has been partially demolished and substitute by large steps that creates an amphitheater for external event and also one of the access to the store. Next to Via San Paolo a glass parallelepiped structure hosts other two entrances and, towards the square, a waterfall screen and a fountain.
BY SCL :
Executive Design of all the structural works related to the “Shell & Core”.
Among the main structural intervention:
• the new steps- amphitheater that leads to the first underground level (entrance to the store) and has foreseen the partial (650 sq. m.) demolition of the square and the cut of the existing prestressed beams;
• the new still structure, at ground level, supporting the glass parallelepiped and a fountain;
• the first underground slab that hosts the entrance to the store (on the West side: still profiles and composite still-concrete slab) and to the storage area ( on the East side: still profiles and corrugated metal sheets);
• the supporting structure for the existing square beams on the sides of the steps (North-South vehicle accessible areas);
• strengthening of the existing supporting beams of the square on the East and West sides;
• the new slab for the second underground level (B2 – r.c plate with stiffening beams);
• the construction of new walls in c.a. in the East-West and North-South direction in support of the new decks.
The transformation of the spaces required a series of structural works that placed the overall intervention in the Adjustment category, as defined in point d) of par. 8.4.1 of the D.M. 14.01.2008.